Dr. Gartner, a renowned and board-certified plastic surgeon in New Jersey, is dedicated to providing outstanding facelift procedures tailored to your specific needs. Facelifts offer a multitude of advantages for both women and men who experience early or recent signs of aging on their skin. With just one procedure, patients can reverse the effects of time and achieve a rejuvenated look that can make them appear years younger.
A facelift, also known as rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure designed to improve visible signs of aging in the face and neck. It addresses various concerns, such as sagging skin, deep creases, jowls, and loss of muscle tone, helping you achieve a more youthful and refreshed appearance. Dr. Gartner has extensive experience in performing facelifts and is committed to delivering exceptional results to all of his patients.
During a facelift, Dr. Gartner employs advanced surgical techniques to lift and tighten the underlying facial tissues, remove excess skin, and reposition the facial contours. The procedure typically includes the following steps:
- Anesthesia: Local or general anesthesia will be administered to ensure your comfort throughout the surgery.
- Incisions: Dr. Gartner will make discreet incisions, usually hidden within the hairline or natural creases of the face, to minimize visible scarring.
- Tissue Repositioning: The underlying facial muscles and tissues are carefully lifted, repositioned, and secured to restore a more youthful appearance.
- Excess Skin Removal: Excess skin is trimmed and tightened, providing a smoother, rejuvenated look.
- Incision Closure: Dr. Gartner meticulously closes the incisions using sutures or skin adhesives, ensuring minimal scarring and optimal healing.
Traditional Facelift: This is the standard facelift procedure that targets the lower face and neck. It involves making incisions along the hairline and around the ears to lift and reposition sagging skin, remove excess fat, and tighten underlying muscles.
Mini Facelift: Also known as a “weekend facelift” or “S-lift,” this procedure is less invasive and focuses on the lower face and jowls. It requires shorter incisions and involves lifting and tightening the skin and muscles to create a more youthful appearance.
Mid Facelift: The mid facelift specifically targets the middle region of the face, including the cheeks and under-eye area. It addresses sagging skin and loss of volume by lifting and repositioning the underlying tissue, resulting in a refreshed and rejuvenated appearance.
Thread Lift: This minimally invasive procedure involves the use of dissolvable threads to lift and tighten the skin. Threads are inserted through small incisions, providing an immediate lifting effect and stimulating collagen production for long-term results.
Deep Plane Facelift: This technique involves releasing and repositioning the deeper facial tissues, including the muscles and fat pads. It provides more extensive lifting and recontouring for individuals with significant sagging and aging in the midface and lower face.
Non-Surgical Facelift: Non-surgical facelift options such as Ultherapy and Thermage use energy-based technologies to stimulate collagen production and tighten the skin. These treatments are non-invasive, require no incisions, and provide subtle rejuvenation with minimal downtime.
- Facelift: The main component of the surgery, which targets the mid to lower face and neck.
- Neck Lift: To address sagging skin and excess fat deposits in the neck region.
- Fat Grafting: If desired, fat grafting can be performed to restore volume and enhance facial contours.
- Skin Resurfacing: To further improve skin texture and reduce fine lines and wrinkles, Dr. Gartner may recommend complementary treatments such as laser resurfacing or chemical peels.
Undergoing a facelift with Dr. Gartner offers a multitude of benefits, including:
- Facial Rejuvenation: The primary goal of a facelift is to restore a more youthful appearance by reducing signs of aging.
- Enhanced Confidence: A rejuvenated appearance can boost self-esteem and confidence, positively impacting various aspects of your life.
- Long-lasting Results: While the aging process continues, a facelift can provide long-lasting improvement, allowing you to enjoy your youthful look for many years.
- Natural-looking Results: Dr. Gartner’s expertise ensures that your results will appear natural and harmonious with your overall facial features.
Facelift candidates typically exhibit common signs of facial aging, including sagging skin, deep creases, and loss of muscle tone. An ideal candidate for a facelift:
- Is in good overall health, both physically and mentally.
- Has realistic expectations about the outcome of the procedure.
- Has sufficient facial sagging and other signs of aging that can be addressed through surgery.
- Is a non-smoker or willing to quit smoking for a recommended period before and after the procedure.
A facelift is a versatile procedure that can address multiple concerns, including:
- Sagging skin and jowls in the midface and neck.
- Deep creases and folds, such as nasolabial folds.
- Loss of muscle tone and facial contours.
- Excess fat deposits in the neck and jowl area.
- Loose or excess skin that creates an aged or tired appearance.
Yes, there are non-surgical facelift options available for individuals seeking facial rejuvenation without undergoing surgery. These options include Thermage and Ultherapy:
Thermage is a non-invasive procedure that utilizes radiofrequency energy to stimulate collagen production and tighten the skin. It targets sagging skin, fine lines, and wrinkles, particularly in the face and neck areas. The procedure involves the use of a handheld device that delivers controlled heat to the deeper layers of the skin, promoting collagen remodeling and providing a lifting effect. Thermage is known for its ability to improve skin tone and texture, resulting in a more youthful appearance. The treatment is typically well-tolerated, and there is minimal downtime associated with it.
Ultherapy is a non-surgical facelift option that uses ultrasound energy to lift and tighten the skin. It stimulates collagen production in the deeper layers of the skin, resulting in gradual improvements over time. The procedure involves the use of a handheld device that delivers targeted ultrasound energy to specific areas of the face and neck. Ultherapy can address sagging skin on the brow, chin, neck, and décolletage. The treatment is non-invasive, requires no incisions, and typically has minimal downtime, allowing individuals to resume their daily activities shortly after the procedure.
Both Thermage and Ultherapy offer non-surgical alternatives for individuals who prefer to avoid surgery or have minimal signs of aging. These procedures can provide noticeable improvements in skin tightness and firmness, resulting in a more youthful and refreshed appearance. It is essential to consult with a qualified provider such as Dr. Gartner to determine which option is best suited to your specific needs and goals.
What is the Recovery Process Like After a Facelift?
The recovery process after a facelift varies from person to person, but generally, you can expect some swelling, bruising, and mild discomfort for the first week or two. Dr. Gartner will provide detailed post-operative instructions to help manage your recovery. It is important to follow these instructions, which may include keeping your head elevated, avoiding strenuous activities, and taking prescribed medications. Most patients can resume their normal activities within two to three weeks, although it may take a few months for all swelling and bruising to fully subside.
Will There Be Visible Scarring?
Dr. Gartner takes great care to minimize visible scarring by placing incisions in discrete locations, such as within the hairline or natural creases of the face. Over time, the incision lines typically fade and become less noticeable. Additionally, Dr. Gartner can provide guidance on scar management techniques to optimize healing and minimize the appearance of scars long-term.
How Long Do Facelift Results Last?
Facelift results are long-lasting; however, it’s important to note that the natural aging process continues. While a facelift can effectively turn back the clock, it does not halt the aging process altogether. The results of a facelift can typically be enjoyed for 8 to 10 years or more, depending on various factors such as lifestyle, genetics, and skincare routine. Dr. Gartner can recommend additional non-surgical treatments and skincare regimens to help maintain and prolong your rejuvenated appearance.
Are There Any Risks or Potential Complications Associated with a Facelift Procedure?
As with any surgical procedure, there are risks and potential complications associated with a facelift. These may include infection, bleeding, adverse reactions to anesthesia, poor wound healing, temporary or permanent numbness, scarring, and asymmetry. However, choosing an experienced and board-certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Gartner greatly minimizes these risks. During your consultation, Dr. Gartner will thoroughly discuss the potential risks and complications associated with a facelift procedure and address any concerns you may have.